Sully's residence. Built from 1625 near Place Royale (today Place des Vosges), this townhouse was a development commissioned by King Henry IV of France and overseen by Maximilien de Béthune, Duke of Sully (1559-1641). The Duke bought the residence in 1634. It stayed in the Sully family until the mid-18th century. Madame de Sévigné and Voltaire both stayed there.
A public building. It was bought by the French state and its restoration, which started in the 1950s, kick started the redevelopment of the entire district. The building has been used as the headquarters of the Centre des Monuments Nationaux since 1967.
To ensure the safety of our visitors, the monument is strictly applying the security measures decided by the french authorities.
The monument is fully opened.